... these are the thoughts and updates on my life as I begin my 27 month service as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Nicaragua in the health sector, "Estilo de la vida saluable.." This is for my family, closest friends, anyone interested in the Peace Corps, or anyone interested in Nicaragua really. Enjoy!

Friday, January 6, 2012

It's finally that time!!

     
       As I prepared to embark on a two year service with the Peace Corps, I thought that nothing would be more appropriate than this blog to keep my friends and family informed of the trials and tribulations that accompany  a Volunteer's life. Next Wednesday, January 11, I will be leaving the United States and flying to Nicaragua, peace out America!
                      A sign I saw in the Baltimore airport... had to capture the moment

       Joining the Peace Corps was an aspiration that floated around in my head throughout high school, and surfaced during my senior year of college at UM, which is when I began the application. It took about a year from the time I hit "submit" for the entire process to occur; first from the application to interview, then to nomination and medical review (which was a tedious, tedious prcess), to eventual placement. I found out in July while visiting my my big brother Dean in Turkey that  I was officially a Peace Corps invitee, and what a relief it was! I was terrified that with the government budget cuts, world peace would be the first thing to go.

       However, it was not (yay!), and I was officially invited in July to Nicaragua to work with the Nicaraguan Ministry of Health to promote community health. A big emphasis is being put on reducing HIV/AIDS, as it has increased in Nicaragua from .66 per 100,000 to 13.3 per 100,000 over the last 14 years (1987-2011). I have a general idea of my job title, but am really excited to see what specifically I will be doing in the field of healthcare. Before going to Nicaragua, I will first attend a "staging" event in Arlington, Virginia, on January 10- my birthday! What an appropriate 22nd birthday activity. Although staging is not until next Tuesday, today is the day I have officially said goodbye to Rutherfordton, the town in which I grew up and has become my home again after graduation between travel destinations, such a NYC, Yellowstone, Istanbul, Ohio, and of course, Miami. Rutherfordton has it's endearing "small town friendly" qualities, such as the wonderful friends that I grew up with that I said goodbye to today, and I although I'm excited about this personal adventure, I will miss them dearly.
                                                       Ben and me at my graduation, May 2011

       Peace Corps emphasizes the importance of enjoying the company of those closest to you before beginning service, and I have to agree with the importance. I am so grateful for the time that I have gotten to spend getting to know my parents on a peer level, we are practically bff since in Rutherfordton, there isn't much else to do on a Saturday night then go to your father's work party.
                                                    70s rager with the parents
     
       Seriously though, as slow of a time as it is in Rutherfordton, it has been an invaluable experience to me which I will cherish forever; it has been a time of enriching my relationships with my parents, family members, and others that I love most. I will be extremely sad to be so far away from all of these people, but I know that those most important to me with always be in my life, regardless of my location. I will keep you posted on my whereabouts once I get to Cape Cod (where Mom, Dad, David and I will be visiting our wonderful cousins Sean, Rebecca and their kids Dillon and Celia for a few days), or Arlington for Staging, or perhaps Nicaragua? The unknown factor is a bit intimidating to me, all I can say is thank you to the people that have given me their love and support, I love you, and remember, it's not goodbye, it's see you later. ;)

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment